Biggest dangers of jet boarding that you might not know

When going jet boarding most people don’t realize the dangers and risks this powerful sport brings.

The rule of thumb is - always invest what you can afford to lose. I mean always ride the distance you are ready to swim back! Yes swim! As most newbies have no experience paddling on a board and they will be swimming (especially with boards that have next to no flotation like jetsurf).

Biggest dangers:

:zap:River with a current. Only ride UP the current. If you go down the current and the board stops or the engine is too weak to battle the current, you are done. In most cases the river banks are impossible to walk and carry a heavy board, they are full of bushes and trees…

:zap: Seaweed and fishermans lines. This is very dangerous in the ocean. Once this mess gets on your propeller, the board will stop running and you can’t clean it with your bare hands unless you take a knife with you and will swim back to the shore. I got this issue many times in the ocean.

:zap:Rocks. Goes without saying, underwater rocks and logs will break your fins. If the water is dirty be especially careful, you might not notice them until it’s too late.

:zap: Rip currents - very dangerous in the ocean. Learn about the spot before you go! Notify your friends or lifeguards where you go.

:zap: Shore break (big waves breaking straight on the shore) makes it hard to go out even without a heavy board in hands! Avoid days with a strong shore break.

:zap:Policeman and regulations. In countries like Germany you have to register your watercraft and respect the rules like 15km/h max speed limit. Also most lakes are private so you must get a permission to ride. Solution? Come to ride to Spain!

:zap:Other swimmers that are hard to spot. Especially snorkling guys that pop up from nowhere and you can easily hit their head. Avoid the popular snorkeling spots and reefs.

:zap: Helmet. It goes without saying you cant jet board without a helmet. It’s too dangerous if your board hits your head. The helmet however limits your side vision so be careful.

:zap: Leash. Unless in a lake, always use a leash. You don’t want to get stranded without your board in the middle of nowhere, trust me i’ve been there.

:zap: Flippers / Fins. Take a small backpack with a pair of small flippers and fins. They might be your plan B in case of strong currents and winds

:zap: Offshore winds. Same as rip currents, they will pull you away from the shore very quick. Avoid days with a strong offshore winds.

P.S. Learn to wipe out before you go full speed. Falling at the speed of 50km/h even in the helmet feels like you hit a concrete wall. Understand your limits. Most newbies get too excited and go way too far!

Good luck and ride safe!

4 Likes

Great advice thank you. former windsurfer and long board surfer here

Guys listen to him, every example he mentions…been there done that survived but barely

Thank you for the comment and kind words.

While I’m here I will add two more things that might help new jetboarders

1. If you are going extremely far from the shore, especially with the efoil that gives you hours of the ride time, maybe get FastFind 220 device. It’s a SOS push button device that notifies the lifeguards of your location at sea if something goes terribly wrong. For example you run out of battery, hit yourself hard with a sharp foil etc. I never tried it myself but seems it works internationally.

2. Battery. Battery is your biggest and true danger, not the ocean. Those big electric batteries can catch fire if not stored and maintained well. Make sure you follow the instructions from your supplier, it’s a no joke. If storing long term you might want to get a fireproof box and store it there outside of the house.

Thanks for sharing these. The first one is key for me unless you are at least 2 riders / boards. But even with 2 riders I would follow it.

The rule of thumb is - always invest what you can afford to lose. I mean always ride the distance you are ready to swim back! Yes swim!

Keep close to the beach!

Yes even with 2 riders we often have to drag each other back to the shore.

I agree with your second-last point, Security backpack is very important in case things went wrong and the backpack is also easy to carry on your shoulders.

Hit my head once. Was bleeding in the water, almost passed out. Never ride without a helmet