Electric Surfboard / jetboard HELP

Hi there can I please get some help on my jetboard (2 years later I’ve finally reached breaking point on this project)

Description:

Homemade board/shaped
100mm jet drive unit
100kv (15kw) motor with 84v battery (8400rpm no load speed)
400a speed controller.

It’s running fine all the mechanics are working/staying cool, but it just doesn’t have enough power to get on plane/surf/ride.

Do people recommend gearing to get more rpm. I’m guessing with load the rpm is dropping 1/3 (5000-5500rpm true rpm under load)
Also haven’t experienced cavitation so rpms not the issue.

All suggestions welcomed!

Cheers

Hi @Ryland_Jones can you share some pictures?

Hello.
I also think seeing a few pictures would help.
The 84v is not a little, but it is a bit dangerous in the water.
A15kw is also a bit much to not glide on yet.

I am also developing a board, 48v 7.5kw and gliding.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1tve1w1UGp6f34hDsQMo2KdLkJVGdUzik/view?usp=drivesdk

1 Like

Yep your RPM is too low on big pumps like that I believe the recommended sweet spot for RPM is in the 10,000 to 12,000 range
MHZ says 12;000 rpm for its jet80 so if you are making 8400 no load you are probably putting out less than half the available power the pump can manage.
The SSS 56113 with 360 kv would get you there but at 8000 watts I believe it may not be enough power
Talk to Steve at offshore electrics and ask him for a motor recommendation he has a lot of knowledge in the large fast electric boat arena that transfers to jet boards
Keep us updated on your progress .
When you say it’s slow what speed are you doing?

Wow the video is REALLY cool!! :smiley: I am in the process of building one myself as well.
I think about the following specs:
400 ESC
58mm inrunner 300 kv 15000W motor
2x 16000 mah lipo in parallel
What do you think about this? :smiley: