How fast need an E-Surfer to be?

In the comparison at https://e-surfer.com/en/electric-surfboard-comparison/ I found quite a few boards above 50 km/h. One claims even above 60 km/h.

Why do you need to be so fast? I thought the ideal carving speed would be around 25 - 30 km/h?

-e

2 Likes

Hi Ed

You are quite right and 25 to 30km per hour is more than adequate and still fun. Like anything riders eventually get bored and want more speed. Its the same as jet skis, boats, motorbikes and cars that keep getting faster its just a natural progression that riders tend to like.

For me I don’t believe that making a fast board is anything special or a great achievement. The boards keep getting faster but they also keep getting bigger and heavier. Where does it start and stop. Eventually its not a board and it becomes a boat.

I think the ideal board is a board that you are able to carry, handle, launch and use by yourself. This is one of the most important features of a board for me and it seems we are losing this. So if faster just means bigger and heavier then its not exactly progression but in fact its going back in time to the 20 and 30 year old Powerski and Surf Jet boards that we already had.

I buy, test, review, sell and repair all the boards and I can tell you that with more speed you pay the price of having bigger, heavier boards that can be extremely difficult to manage.

Another thing we need to do when it comes to speed is we should come up with a standard and agreed method os testinnspeed that everyone follows. We need to ensure that all manufacturers use the same testing device, same weight rider and test in the same conditions so that we actually get a true reeding on an equal playing field. Most of the speeds that manufacturers advertise and boast about are not true or real and are greatly exaggerated.

Wayne

3 Likes