My DIY electric surfboard. It's working!

Yes. Finally the build of my electric surfboard is done and working.

It still needs a lot of fine tuning on the ESC’s

• Jets used (2) are from Mark. See YOUNGSTERS JETS on YT.
  • Board is a cut down Vision Softlite – 8’0 softtop surfboard
  • Motors used are Surpass hobby 56102 600KV Brushless Motor
  • ESC’s are from Flier. Model: ESC 240 16S
  • Remote is a Maytech V2 (Fully Waterproof Remote Control).
  • Two waterproof 12 / 24 volt 200 amp circuit breakers.
  • LiPo’s are 6S Zippy 4500 mAh (40C). I’m using 2 banks of 3 lipos in parallel.

The jets / motors are (should be) doing about 13440 RPM at WOT (600*22.4)
(That is when running free…)

DIY esurfboard

The most difficult part of the build by far was getting the battery and motor cover watertight.
I was using two really nice marine hatches, but they were leaking so much, and it was impossible to stop this )-:

Now I’m using a cut down pelican case as motor cover (nice to keep the towels in too), and a PVC drainage lid as battery cover. The pelican case will be changed to the PVC drainage lid system later this summer.

My dad and I already started on building a new version of the board with integrated hatches.
This new board will be made from wood. The weight of the new wooden board itself will be around 7 KG, and have a partly removable deck for access to the two jets and battery’s.

Video of my 2nd run on the board. Testing my DIY electric jet surfboard. #electricjetsurfboard - YouTube
Top speed is 30 km/h (@ 22.4 volt (6S))

NIce job!

Keep it going!

1 Like

Well done!

1 Like

you need to use 12s. 6s is only using 45% of motor power

1 Like

Yes I know. I did some 12S test, and boy… I was scared!
My dad and I are building a 2nd board at this moment. It’s almost done, and it will use a DIY 12S12P setup :slight_smile:
Soon more!!!

1 Like

Please send some pictures if you have a chance.

Finally. The maiden. .a very short video. This is with 6S only.
Next week more video… more power 12S

Board is performing really nice. Short turns. Long turns. and easy drifts (no fins)

Again. This is only with 6S.

1 Like

niice! we want a longer video explaining and testing please

1 Like

They will come when done testing…

Nicee :slight_smile:
When you build your own electric skateboard, you can choose your battery’s total voltage. The usual choice is 6S 22.2 volts, 8S 29.2 volts, 10S 37 volts and the most is a 12S 42 volts.
You can add more amps by using a better, more powerful battery. The most common rating for a standard motor has a maximum output per motor of 80 amps. You may not need this much on an electric board. This is a lot more than what riders need and usually, this will only leave you off your board and on the floor.
A set up with bigger motors and stronger batteries will give you more power so you can get higher wattage out of your motors. And although this is a very powerful motor, you might only injure yourself. :smiley:

i recommend getting a 18650 or 20700 made for you it’s cheaper and lighter than lipo batteries and you can customize them check this website https://voltaplex.com/13s10p-46.8v-35ah-li-ion-18650-battery-pack-lg-mj1-cuboid

Here is a short video of me running the new board with 12S12P.
The impellers used are a test version. Unfortunately the cavitate for me when running at WOT.
The original impellers do not have this problem, and I will get some new video with the next run soon.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CNHeJ0YFaEU/

Congratulations, nice speed.
Do you know what the total weight was?
(battery + board + rider)

• Board weight (2 motors, 2 jets, 2 ESC’s and some more small electronica stuff and wires) 20 KG.
  • Battery (12S12P) and BMS: 9.2 KG
  • Rider (me with wetsuit and helmed) 72 KG.
  • Board size: 180 x 69 x 14 (about 110 liter volume)

Thrust generated with the 2 jets with WOT (Wide Open Throttle) is just over 45 KG
The board could have been maybe 3 KG lighter.

1 Like

Finally we managed to get some more testing done with our DIY jet board.
The ESC’s are set to 70% power output.
We still have some cavitation problems, but only in rough conditions.
Another small issue is with the BMS FET’s heating up too much, however this should be an easy fix.

Video of run can be found here

https://www.instagram.com/p/CPu1CodFt0t

And the longer video here:

2 Likes

Very interesting, thanks for the link. I think you can improve your technique to increase the power of the device.

Hi how do you think you will get past the cavitation issue. The board I plan is very similar to yours but It has a very flat surface. Is there something that you can do with fins to help?

1 Like

We have 2 options.

1. Lower the water inlets (motors). Make the bottom look like this (but for 2 jets)

2. Use a intake grate top loading scoop (they use it on jet skis too).
    Something like this. (again for 2 jets)

There is actually one more way to go, and that is by adding a 2nd stage to the shafts
See:

1 Like

I am very much a noob to jets so this might be wrong of me but having a long intake would surely be a dissandvantage because of weight and load to pull it from a greater distance?
I do like the scoop idea though