I will share my opinion from the wave riding point of view, as I am mostly interested in riding waves with jetboard in the ocean where I live as I dont have any lakes or rivers around.
The best remote control for waveriders (maybe not fully remote as it has a rope) is the one that Mako and Jetsurf has. Also Lampuga among electric ones.
- It allows you have extra point of control over the board using the rope
- It’s lightweight and easy to hold. You can drop it and it does not sink or hang on your arm
Second best for waveriders
Onean Carver remote control. It’s light weight, it hangs on your wrist and does not prevent you from paddling or diving. The only thing i hate about it is how hard it is to keep pressing the button but I think Onean will fix it soon or already fixed.
Other remote controls are not very good for the wave riders.
They all look cool but they are big, heavy and bulky:
- It’s next to impossible to paddle with such control (it will be hitting your board or your face, scratching the board when you pass the whitewater of the crashing wave) - you may argue that you never paddle with hydrofoils? i am not sure about it. what if it breaks in the middle of the lake? Things happen.
- It’s hard to swim with it as well. Why swim? again if things happen you swim and push your board to the shore.
- It’s not clear how to carry the board into the waves when such a big remote control is hanging on your hand and hitting the board.
P.S. Those 3 things are not very important when you go to lakes or rivers when the water is calm and you have plenty of time to slowly enter the water so for people who dont plan to surf waves it does not matter.
Remote control is the biggest issue of all electric boards. In most cases it’s a remote that breaks or loses sync and not the board. It’s really hard to make a stable remote control that withstands so much pressure of interaction with water and constant falling into the water. I dont know the costs of remote controls but I think it’s good for expensive efoils to ship with at least one spare remote for all orders… There is nothing worst than buying 15,000 e-foil and then realise the remote breaks after couple of hours.