The perfect remote control?

How do you think the perfect remote control should look like? Which features should it have?

A few examples.

1. Waterwolf

The Waterwolf has no remote control at all (handsfree). It has a knob on the board instead.

1. ePropulsion

The remote from the Lagoon E-Sup and eSurf S1 can be worn on the wrist like a watch or can be connected to the paddle (E-SUP)

1. Fliteboard eFoil

With a nice LCD display

1. Lampuga

Can be used as the handle or can be hold in the hand with a leash to the wrist

a%20Lampuga

1. Liftfoils eFoil

1. Radinn G2X

1. VeFoil White-Label / DIY remote

867b7e15ffa8749e63630cd8b61018b4_original

Which one would you chose?

Do you have other examples?

I made my experience with the Onean remote. You wear it on your wrist and it has a pressure sensor to accelerate. I personally like a remote on the wrist, but found it hard to keep the pressure. My thumb was hurting after a few minutes.

1 Like

I will share my opinion from the wave riding point of view, as I am mostly interested in riding waves with jetboard in the ocean where I live as I dont have any lakes or rivers around.

The best remote control for waveriders (maybe not fully remote as it has a rope) is the one that Mako and Jetsurf has. Also Lampuga among electric ones.

1. It allows you have extra point of control over the board using the rope
  2. It’s lightweight and easy to hold. You can drop it and it does not sink or hang on your arm

Second best for waveriders
Onean Carver remote control. It’s light weight, it hangs on your wrist and does not prevent you from paddling or diving. The only thing i hate about it is how hard it is to keep pressing the button but I think Onean will fix it soon or already fixed.

Other remote controls are not very good for the wave riders.
They all look cool but they are big, heavy and bulky:

1. It’s next to impossible to paddle with such control (it will be hitting your board or your face, scratching the board when you pass the whitewater of the crashing wave) - you may argue that you never paddle with hydrofoils? i am not sure about it. what if it breaks in the middle of the lake? Things happen.
  2. It’s hard to swim with it as well. Why swim? again if things happen you swim and push your board to the shore.
  3. It’s not clear how to carry the board into the waves when such a big remote control is hanging on your hand and hitting the board.

P.S. Those 3 things are not very important when you go to lakes or rivers when the water is calm and you have plenty of time to slowly enter the water so for people who dont plan to surf waves it does not matter.

Remote control is the biggest issue of all electric boards. In most cases it’s a remote that breaks or loses sync and not the board. It’s really hard to make a stable remote control that withstands so much pressure of interaction with water and constant falling into the water. I dont know the costs of remote controls but I think it’s good for expensive efoils to ship with at least one spare remote for all orders… There is nothing worst than buying 15,000 e-foil and then realise the remote breaks after couple of hours.

4 Likes

I am Waterwolf user riding on a lake and like their concept of “handsfree”.

The Waterwolf has limited power / speed (25-30km/) which is a good speed for this board, but you basically always ride full speed, so no need for adjustments / remote control in your hand.

You only change the speed for:

A) Starting or going back to the beach and than it is fine to ride on your knees or laying on the board

B) An emergency stop, which you can do by pulling the emergency leash.

That’s said, due to my respect for the propeller I always hold the leash in my hand (next to the connection to my Wrist) in order to be able to stop within less than a second. May be I should just shorten the leash. I will try.

I would love a wristband with color display (like a smartwatch) which shows me speed, battery (board & remote) and temperature (battery & engine).

For acceleration, braking and emergency stop I like the concept of the cable (see Onean remote above), but it should have a slider rather than a pressure sensor.

A waterproof glove remote control :scream:

3 Likes

Wow this is super cool. Tony Stark style! In future I think the boards will be controlled by the brain waves directly through the helmet.

I like little display on it so Wayne can be checking his emails while riding finally. Nice touch!

Would be cool to have 4G card installed so that sos calls could be made as well through the glove.

Some of them look really big and this must be disturbing when you stand up from the board?

I ike the suggestion from @Jackson5

I would love a wristband with color display (like a smartwatch) which shows me speed, battery (board & remote) and temperature (battery & engine).

For acceleration, braking and emergency stop I like the concept of the cable (see Onean remote above), but it should have a slider rather than a pressure sensor.

This would probably work best for me as well.

Or the Tony Stark style gloves :joy::joy::joy:

The slider is not very good idea for faster speeds. The pressing is more natural to control speeds as you instantly feel the feedback and can release to reduce speed

1 Like

I think I also prefer the slider / wristband solution. My BoostedBoard (e-skateboard) makes 35 - 40 km/h and the slider works perfectly fine.

D.

I think Fliteboards’ remote is by far one of the best on the market, small lightweight, floats, easy to see the screen and it’s short and does not hit the board when launching.

Worst controller? Probably Takuma’s efoil is worst. Terrible idea with the ring, very difficult to learn and understand the concept and also i hear water gets in all the time.

Pretty cool controller of Awake but I am more used controlling speed with a pointing finger rather than thumb.

Interesting to see new Lift’s elite remote as well, i hope it will surprise us. Old one is not bad at all, easy to hold and feels great but i don’t like how big it is and it breaks a lot.

I love the remote has long-lasting battery life. I charge my device for around two hours, I get to use it for a maximum of eight hours. That’s enough time for me to go sailing anywhere I want.